What is Kybella?
Kybella (keoxycholic acid) is a manmade form of a substance your body makes that helps to absorb fats. Deoxycholic acid works by destroying fat cells where it is injected into the body.
- Kybella is used to help decrease the appearance of fat that hangs below the chin, sometimes called a double-chin.
- Kybella has not been tested for safe use on other areas of the body.
How is Kybella given?
Kybella is injected under the skin directly into the area beneath your chin. A healthcare provider will give you this injection.
Kybella must be given in a series of up to 6 treatment sessions in order to be effective. Each treatment session should be spaced no less than 1 month apart. Many people have had visible results after 2 to 4 sessions.
- You may receive up to 50 injections at each session. Typically 12-20 is the average injections per treatment.
- You may be treated with a topical numbing medicine or an ice pack to ease pain and make you comfortable during the injections.
- Your medical provider will determine the right number of Kybella injections and how many sessions you need, depending on the results you want.